Cultural and Linguistic Competence
The NYS Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) is committed to embedding cultural and linguistic competency throughout all our work. As part of this commitment, the DDPC established a Cultural Competency Workgroup, developed a Language Access Plan, and is participating in a national 5-year initiative on Cultural and Linguistic Competence.
Community of Practice on Cultural and Linguistic Competence
The Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) is part of a 5-year CoP on Cultural and Linguistic Competence in Developmental Disabilities. The CoP initiative is coordinated through Georgetown’s National Center for Cultural Competence (NCCC) and funded by the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, Administration for Community Living, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services through a 5-year Cooperative Agreement.
The DDPC is the lead agency for New York’s CoP Team. The mission of the New York CoP is to increase access to information about the developmental disabilities network, developmental disabilities services, supports, and individual rights through outreach, training, and education for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families who have limited English proficiency.
As part of this initiative, each State partner was asked to (a) designate a Transformation Leadership Team and (b) make a 5-year commitment to this system transformation initiative and to develop a transformation plan.
Below are the agencies and organizations that are part of the New York CoP:
- Chinese-American Planning Council (CPC)
- Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) - lead agency
- Disability Rights New York (DRNY)
- Ibero-American Action League (Ibero)
- Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD)
- Rose F. Kennedy, UCEDD
- Strong Center for Developmental Disabilities, UCEDD
- Westchester Institute for Human Development, UCEDD
New York CoP Team Lead
Diversity and Inclusion Program Specialist
New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council
For more information: https://nccc.georgetown.edu/cop/index.php
DDPC Cultural Competency Workgroup
In 2016, the Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) created a Cultural Competency Workgroup to engage stakeholders representing the diversity of New York in advancing our diversity and Inclusion goals.
The DDPC Cultural Competency Workgroup was established to:
- Serve an advisory role by providing ongoing input and recommendations for DDPC projects, grants and initiatives in an effort to embed cultural and linguistic competence throughout DDPC work;
- Review and provide input on diversity and inclusion goals within the DDPC State Plan (2017-2021);
- Review and provide input on DDPC’s Language Access Plan; and
- Serve as a springboard for increasing the diversity of DDPC Membership.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The NYS Developmental Disabilities Planning Council (DDPC) Language Access Plan establishes a system to provide people with limited English proficiency access to agency resources and information. As part of this plan, all agency vital documents are translated into the top 6 languages spoken in New York State. We also provide telephonic interpretation to any member of the public who contacts the office and in-person interpretation at agency events or activities upon request. To learn more about the Language Access services we provide, please visit our Language Access Page.